Sunday, May 14, 2006

Honesty is always the best policy...

I'm afraid I'm in a ranting kind of mood which hs just this second been severely exacerbated by the fact that the "a" key on my computer has decided to stick.
Recently i've been feeling kind of irritable and have not been able to put my finger on it. I think it may have started when i was at school showing some photographs of when i went back to England. Everyone was being very complimentary and appeared to be interested when one older male teacher decides to pipe up with "your brother is very handsome, but you are...well, maybe a little bit fat." He then laughed and smiled as if he had just given me some invaluable advice and that i should be grateful...quite frankly gratitude was the last thing on my mind. The Japanese for "f*#k you, you rude idiot" escaping me (always the way), I grimaced and said "yes, my brother is handsome".
I'd been warned about this kind of comment before i came to Japan but never really thought someone would be tactless or ballsy enough to say it. After all, we're in the land of restrained emotion and chronic politeness. Perhaps, far from being offended, I should in fact be embracing these comical moments. Unfortunately, he got me on a bad day and i just wish this kind of honesty and frankness could be put to good use someplace else...grrr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home